Be it a child or an adult; there’s one thing everyone dislike- visiting the dentist. Most of us feel that getting dental x-rays every year is unnecessary, especially if you don’t have any particular complaint about your oral health. But the fact is, dental x-rays are much more important than what you think.
Why are dental x-rays necessary
Dental x-rays help your dentist to gauge your oral health and prescribe treatments accordingly. Children need to get more frequent dental radiographs because their tooth structure keeps changing.
Dental x-rays are used to identify-
· Abnormal tooth growth
· Tooth decay
· Chronic oral health problems
If you visit a dentist for the first time, they will ask you to get a dental dental x ray shorewood done so that they can analyze the general health of your teeth. People with a history of gingivitis might need to get dental x-rays more often.
Types of dental x-rays
Different types of dental x-rays capture different angles of your mouth and teeth. The different types of x-rays are:-
1. Bitewing X-ray- This type of x-ray is used to capture a particular area of your tooth. You will need to bite a piece of plastic while the image is being taken.
2. Periapical X-ray- This type captures your entire tooth. It’s usually recommended if your dentist suspects a tooth structure anomaly.
3. Panoramic X-ray- As the name suggests, this type of x-ray is used to capture the entire area of your mouth which includes everything from teeth to walls.
4. Full-mouth X-ray- It is a collage of different images taken by using the Bitewing and the Periapical techniques.
5. Occlusal X-ray- This type of x-ray is usually done to detect whether a toddler has started developing teeth or not.
Dental x-rays are necessary and aid in treating most of your dental problems. So, the next time doesn’t hesitate to get your x-ray done. It will be useful to your dentist and your teeth.